Here in i have scribbled a few of my thoughts on the Free and Open Source Software(FOSS) course that i did in The Australian National University(ANU) , Canberra,Australia.
http://cs.anu.edu.au/Student/comp8440/ (Don't blame me if the link is broken)
Before taking this course i knew nothing about FOSS. All that i know was Linux and its an operating system wherein one has to remember a lot of commands to get something done.
But after taking this course I learnt a lot about the FOSS culture , How a sense of relationship flourishes in the community and more.
i started using Ubuntu as my operating system. My first Ubuntu OS was Ubuntu 8.10.
I started working on Freecol(www.freecol.org) , a colonization game as part of my course assessment.
After the course out of interest i worked on and working on a few projects like
1.http://nocc.sourceforge.net/?lang=en
2.http://www.acetoneteam.org/
I work on translating the software to tamil and also by providing patches and bug reports.
There are a few people who inspired me and kindled my interest in this course Dr.Clive Boughton,Dr.Andrew Tridgell, Mr.Bob Edwards,Dr.Alistair Rendell.(All are faculties in the Dept of Comp.Sci. ANU)
I will post a lot of links about FOSS and also a report of my project in the next few days.
Introductory Presentation
Project Study report
No comments:
Post a Comment